Cervantes Statement on the Passage of the State Budget
Applauds Funding for Norco College and Jurupa Area Recreation & Park District
(SACRAMENTO) – The following is a statement by Assemblymember Sabrina Cervantes (D-Corona) regarding the passage of the state budget today:
“This state budget is both balanced and prudent. It exemplifies fiscal restraint, increased public oversight, and a reduction in unfunded pension liabilities, all while still making targeted investments in our communities. In particular, I want to thank Governor Jerry Brown, Speaker Anthony Rendon, and Pro Tem Kevin de León for working with me to secure the following funding for the 60th Assembly District:
- $2 million for Norco College to support its Veteran Resource Center (VRC)
- $18 million for the Jurupa Area Recreation & Park District
“In addition, I am proud to have worked with my friend and colleague, Senator Richard D. Roth (D-Riverside), to ensure that two vacant judgeships are reallocated to the Riverside County Superior Court. This measure will help alleviate the judge shortage that affects Riverside County, and improve essential access to our courts.
“I am also proud that this budget makes needed advances in furthering our higher education and job training infrastructure. In particular, the budget:
- Supports career technical education (CTE) by providing $200 million for the CTE Incentive Grant, and $15.3 million to maintain the state Department of Education’s Career Technical Education Pathways Program;
- Expands workforce training by allocating $8 million to the California Community Colleges to expand the Economic Workforce Development Program to areas with high unemployment;
- Protects the Middle Class Scholarship, which increases the prosperity of middle class families, and provides educational pathways that reduce the burden on our students.
“I was sent to Sacramento to fight for Western Riverside County to finally receive its fair share, and a seat at the table in determining the future of our great state. This state budget is a strong next step towards that goal.”