Special Driver’s Licenses and Identification Cards Help Veterans Gain Access to Benefits

Special Driver’s Licenses and Identification Cards Help Veterans Gain Access to BenefitsThrough their service to our country, veterans have earned a wide range of benefits.

However, it can be difficult to verify their service in order to acquire those benefits. In fact, not having proof of military service is one of the biggest obstacles veterans face gaining access to resources, benefits, and services. As such, a new law that I had the privilege of supporting is fixing this problem by adding the word “veteran” to California identification cards.

Veterans can easily prove their eligibility to receive California state and federal veterans benefits without having to carry inconvenient and inefficient papers.

Applying for the veteran driver’s license and ID is easy:

  1. Simply find your military discharge certificate (DD214). If you need help obtaining your military records, then contact your local County Veteran Service Officer (CVSO).
  2. Stop by your local CVSO with your DD214 for verification.
  3. Go to www.dmv.ca.gov, or call the DMV at 1-800-777-0133, to make an appointment. Bring your verified application form, and the small $5 application fee.

You must complete all applicable requirements. The application form certifies the veteran applying for the veteran ID card is from the active armed forces, and was discharged under honorable circumstances.

Your Local CVSO office:

Location: Riverside
Hours: M-TH 8am-4pm

Office 4360 Orange Street, Riverside, CA, 92501
Main (951) 955-3060
Fax: (951) 955-3063

Temporary Field Schedule

Location: Corona
Description: Vet Center

Hours: 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month 9 am - Noon
Office 800 Magnolia Avenue, Suite 101, Corona, CA, 92879

Main (951) 955-3060